Education & Art: Towards New Integrations Between Education and the Curatorial and Artistic FieldsOctober 16, 2015
ONLINE COURSE / Duration: Nov 17 – Dec 8, 2015 / Apply before: Nov 14
Lecturer: Juan Canela
Participation fee: 148 euros
*Live video-conferences every Tuesday at 7pm Central European Time. Recordings will be available in case you miss a live session!
This course explores art education today, and how curating and artistic practice relate to pedagogy. It gathers different proposals related to art education, from art schools and art courses, to artistic and curatorial projects that focus on the topic of education, or that work directly within this field. The aim of this course is to imagine new intersections between education and curatorial and artistic fields.
We will reflect on questions such as: what does it mean to teach art? How could we combine the strenghts of both education and art? What are we curating, who are we educating and why?
To achieve this, we will analyze the system of art education as a whole by looking at different scenarios from the school to the museum, case studies of artistic and curatorial projects that integrate education, as well as the different roles and relations between the curator, mediator, educator and artist. Finally we’ll learn how to articulate a curatorial project with a specific focus on pedagogy.
*Image credits: Priscila Fernandes, The Book of Aesthetic Education of the Modern School, 2013. Photo: Pere Pratdesaba
Week 1 / Context and introduction
- Course overview
- Introduction to the different relations between art & education
- Different scenarios: the school and the museum
Week 2 / Art pedagogy
- What does it mean to teach art?
- Some thoughts on art education
- Different examples of art schools
- Different artistic and curatorial projects working from educational contexts
Week 3 / Artistic and curatorial projects addressing pedagogical topics
- The pedagogical turn in curating
- The museum as a pedagogical dispositive
- Different roles and their relations: curator, mediator, educator, artist
- Some examples of artistic and curatorial projects
Week 4/ Getting practical: conceptualizing projects and establishing relationships
- How to conceptualise a curatorial project about education
- How to work with artists, curators, institutions, educators and teachers trying to re-define the power relations among them
- Case study: Lesson 0: an on-going attempt to develop a curatorial project about art education focusing on alternative educational methods.